We all know that geography is very important in this world, especially in some occupations. One example of these occupation is pilots.
Geography is important to pilots because:
- Maps are very important to pilots. You can’t stop by to ask for directions like when you are driving. So you need to know where you are going and plan with maps prior to taking off.
- Geography also helps if you are flying internationally. If you fly internationally, you need to know the aviation rules for the countries you are transiting, or landing in. This is because the rules of US may be different from Malaysia’s.
- When flying long distances, the “great circle” route is actually the shortest. Knowledge of the earth’s shape and geography allows us to figure this out.
- It’s important to understand the terrain you are flying over so that you know what your minimum safe altitude is, or you could crash into a mountain. So maps with contour lines help in this way.
- With GPS, pilots will also never get lost.